All aboard (again), please!
Good things take time: Even if the trains initially only ran at 40 km/h, one of the oldest train stations in Wrocław, Poland, can look back on a long and successful history. The Świebodzki station in Wrocław was opened on October 28, 1843 - for almost 150 years, thousands of trains passed through the Wrocław terminus and reliably transported passengers to their destination. Since its closure in 1991, the building has housed numerous offices, a theater and a school of emergency medicine. Nowadays, the station grounds are home to a theater and a marketplace where merchants present their wares every Sunday. However, the needs of the Wroclaw metropolitan area demand that the station be reactivated with its original purpose - the capacity of the main station has been exhausted. Under the Railway Plus program, trips between Legnica and Wrocław on the Środa Śląska - Wrocław section are soon to be transferred from the main station to the Świebodzki station. Considering the agglomeration, this seems to be a timely step. The envisaged reconstruction of the infrastructure (tracks, traction network, platforms) is estimated at about PLN 200 million (over €42 million) and will be financed up to 85% from the state budget, with 15% provided by local authorities. Restoration of the station building is also in the planning stage - but the characteristic appearance with columns, bas-reliefs related to mythology, and the portal is to remain. A new commissioning is planned for 2028.